Friday, July 18, 2014

Peruvians and Party Games

Week 56

July 7, 2014

Hahah. Well. We have an investigator Patricia who is pregnant. As a way to get some good fellowshipping AND eat cake we had a baby shower. Baby showers are relatively new here, and they haven't been Peruvian-ized quite yet. The word for baby shower here is "baby shower". The last ward baby shower was a family event that included a clown and was a little strange, so we showed them how it was done. Let me just say, at parts it was kind of like pulling teeth. But they got a kick out of pin the binky on the baby.




Also, Happy Fourth of July! My comp has this sweet American scarf (see pics) and we were very patriotic that day. The sad part of the Fourth of July was that we dropped Moises. He just is not keeping his commitments. I had to tell him we weren't going to stop by anymore until he started to show his faith by doing things like attend church. He legitimately looked sad. And it broke my heart to tell him that. As we walked away Hna. Hunter and I just cried. But it was one of those times where we were disappointed, but not in ourselves.We did all we could do for him, but in the end it was his choice to not progress any more. At least for now. I see a lot of potential in him. Maybe just now is not his time. 




This week we had a lesson with a less active. I won't use her real name but lets call her Martha. She is a return missionary who came back and fell in love with a non-member. They never got married but they moved in together and they now have two kids. It was so weird to teach her because she already knows everything. She already knows that she is involved in serious sin, but we did share a message of hope with her. She just started to cry and say "it's all my fault, it's all my fault". It was so sad. But I know we have to remember the message of hope we share for her. No matter how low we find ourselves, we can always be picked back up thanks to the Savior's Atonement. This morning I was reading in 2 Nephi 4. I love that chapter because so many times I have felt so frustrated with myself for not being as strong as I know I should be. My soul wants to do so many good things but sometimes the flesh wins. But I love the line, Pero se en quien he confiado. But I know in whom I have trusted. I know that if we put our trust in the Lord, we can overcome our weaknesses. As we make more and more righteous decisions it will become easier to do so. We can be triumphant through the Atonement. That is what the gospel has to offer our burdened down less actives (and everyone!). Martha has come to church a couple times and has met with the bishop. She is on the right track. We will help her experience the freedom from guilt and pain that the Atonement provides. And it is there for literally everyone at any time or place.Be free!  I love you all so much!
Hermana Beckstead

 
oh yeah. And the food is papa a la huancayina. We have a new pensionista and she is the BEST! It's my favorite and she made it.  Also, we went to the shore of the lake again. Have an awesome week! 



No comments:

Post a Comment